Saturday, February 14, 2009

Talisker 10 year old

Talisker 10 Year Old
Bottled by: Distillery
ABV: 45.8%
Region: Islands (Skye)
Price: $45
Availability: Readily available

I first tried Talisker 10 year old in a "Classic Malts" tasting set which included it, Lagavulin 16y, Dalwhinnie 15y, Glenkinchie 10y, Cragganmore 12y and Oban 14y. Not a bad set. This was my first real foray into scotch and although I was not necessarily ready for the intensity of the Lagavulin and Talisker malts at that time, they left a strong impression on me.

Tasting Notes
Color
full gold
Nose
winey, very delicate peat
Flavor
from a fruity, winey start, builds into a big and powerful smoky finale. Notions of English Latakia-blend pipe tobacco.
Finish
Spicy, peppery, powerful, long
Rating
91+

Overall impression and notes: I do not remember this malt being so winey - it may be due to tasting it next to the Bowmore and Port Ellen. I went back and forth on whether or not the wineyness in the nose was to my liking, but the flavor and finish on this malt are excellent. The spicy, powerful finish is legendary.

No comments:

Post a Comment