Friday, February 13, 2009

Glen Scotia 14 year old

Glen Scotia 14 Year Old
Bottled by: Distillery
ABV: 43%
Region: Cambeltown
Price: $60
Availability: No longer bottled/scarce

I originally came across this bottling at Hi-Time in Costa Mesa many years back where they offered this single malt scotch in 50 mL bottles for a very reasonalble $3.99. I liked it immediately but did not come around to buying a large bottle until about two years ago when they had already stopped production of this age. Luckily I found 2 bottles at 20-20 in LA and cleaned them out. One of only two Campbeltown distilleries (the other is Springbank) Glen Scotia is far less known.

Tasting Notes
Color
medium-light amber
Nose
complex aromas of delicate peat, oak
Flavor
full, with a sweet, malty entry building to a tangy middle
Finish
long, rich, satisfying
Rating
92

Overall impression and notes: One of my top 5 single malts of all time. It is the full-bodied sweet, malty and complex palate that really puts it over the top for me. A special dram whose loss I mourn, but which I feel fortunate to have been able to enjoy. Now the question is when will I open my last bottle?

1 comment:

  1. just got a 750mil bottle given to me. don't know if i want to drink it or save it. sounds like i should cherish it for awhile !!!!!

    ReplyDelete