Monday, February 9, 2009

The Manhattan Cocktail

The Manhattan cocktail is a classic. A marriage of whiskey, sweet vermouth and bitters, a Manhattan, made properly with quality ingredients and served in a chilled cocktail glass, is at the pinnacle of cocktaildom.

I recently reflected on my preferences for a great Manhattan. I ran across an interesting article from reknowned Bartender's Bible author Gary Regan here. Great article with a lot of interesting variations discussed. I think a lot of what he says holds true, with a few exceptions.

First of all sweet vermouth should come from Italy. Dry vermouth should come from France. Of the "standard vermouths", I prefer Martini & Rossi to Cinzano (and the French Noilly Prat) based on a recent tasting. Carpano Antica Formula is an excellent and complex vermouth that makes an absolutely outstanding Manhattan, but one on the drier side. Likewise, Carpano Punt e Mes is more rich and bitter than the standard vermouths and makes an excellent Manhattan if, and this is a big IF, your whiskey can stand up to it. You will need a full-flavored whiskey to balance the richness of Punt e Mes.

Second, a Manhattan was originally made with Rye. Some rye recipes are required. Wild Turkey ryes are my favorite. The regular bottling was tops in a recent tasting. The Russell's Reserve is also good as as is the Sazerac 6y old which scored similar ratings. For mixing, I'd recommend the Sazerac over the Russell's Reserve, as I've found when tasting them together that the Saz has a slightly more assertive character, but is a little "hotter" and perhaps less balanced, which matches to a cocktail better. Both are fine choices, though.

Finally I do like a fair amount of Angostura bitters, 3-4 dashes is my optimum. And I gotta have a maraschino cherry (but do not encourage using the syrup in the cocktail). You can also use Italian brandy-soaked cherries or Luxardo brand gourmet maraschino cherries, if you want to go the extra mile.

What follows are two recipes each for a Bourbon-based and Rye-based Manhattan. I have paired a lighter whisky with the Martini & Rossi Vermouth and more full-flavored whiskies with the Carpano Punt e Mes or Antica Formula. A #4 made with Antica Formula is my current favorite and just may be my favorite cocktail, period.


#1 Bourbon (lighter)
3 oz. Maker's Mark, Jim Beam Black or Basil Hayden's bourbon
1.5 oz. Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth
3-4 dashes Angostura bitters
Stir in a mixing glass with ice. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a maraschino cherry.

#2 Bourbon (richer)
3 oz. Knob Creek bourbon
1-1.5 oz. Carpano Punt e Mes or Antica Formula
3-4 dashes Angostura bitters
Stir in a mixing glass with ice. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a maraschino cherry.

#3 Rye (lighter)
3 oz. Sazerac 6y Rye
1.5 oz. Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth
3-4 dashes Angostura bitters
Stir in a mixing glass with ice. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a maraschino cherry.

#4 Rye (richer)
3 oz. Wild Turkey Rye
1-1.5 oz. Carpano Punt e Mes or Antica Formula
3-4 dashes Angostura bitters
Stir in a mixing glass with ice. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a maraschino cherry.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. I haven't tried Rye Whiskey in a Manhattan and need do so. I tend to prefer richer Bourbons - I like Knob over Makers Mark, but have never tried it with Carpano Punt e Mes.

    I generally make what you have listed as #1 but in an old-fashioned about 3/4 full of ice. I like how it slowly waters down to the end. For maraschinos, I have switched to "The Silver Palate" brand (available at Whole Foods). While they still use corn syrup there is no artificial coloring. Also, while they are not as bright red as the normal variety, I think they taste a bit better. One last note - occasionally I add a lemon twist to add some brightness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy,

    Thanks for the comment! I will definitely check out the silver palate maraschinos - they sound like a good alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Author's note:
    Post updated 3/7 to include more vermouth information and to swap around the rye recommendations based on rececnt tastings of these items.

    ReplyDelete